– CS Lewis Quotes –
At wordingvibes, you’ll find the finest CS Lewis quotes. CS Lewis was a British writer who was born on November 29, 1898. Please share this with your friends.
Clive Staples Lewis was a lay theologian and writer from the United Kingdom.
God, man, and spirit are all explored in unique ways in these insightful C.S. Lewis quotes.
Lewis held seats at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge and was a personal friend of J.R.R. Tolkien.
He is most known for his works of fiction and quotes, which include The Chronicles of Narnia, The Screwtape Letters, and The Space Trilogy.
C.S. Lewis returned to Anglicanism at 32, after forsaking his faith as a child.
His work was profoundly influenced by Christianity, prompting him to produce the nonfiction apologetics Mere Christianity, Miracles, and The Problem of Pain.
During the war, Lewis was well-known for his Christian radio programs, which provided solace to many people.
The Best 150 CS Lewis Quotes
Here are the best C. S. Lewis quotations in one spot, whether you know him as a children’s book or find inspiration in his religious writings.
- Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness.
- Love is not an affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.
- Don’t use words too big for the subject. Don’t say ‘infinitely’ when you mean ‘very’; otherwise, you’ll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.
- It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
- You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you.
- Suspicion often creates what it suspects.
- If you love deeply, you’re going to get hurt badly. But it’s still worth it.
- It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us; it is the very sign of His presence.
- A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.
- The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.
CS Lewis Screwtape Letters Quotes
- There is no uncreated being except God. God has no opposite.No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond.
- Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success.
- Good English’ is whatever educated people talk; so that what is good in one place or time would not be so in another.
- Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
- We all want progress, but if you’re on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.
- It’s so much easier to pray for a bore than to go and see one.
- Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having.
- With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere.
- There is but one good; that is God. Everything else is good when it looks to Him and bad when it turns from Him.
- Thirty was so strange for me. I’ve really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult.I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.
- Applauding Employee Appreciation Quotes
- 102 Sweet, Romantic and Funny Happy Birthday Wishes
- 63 Marriage Proposal Messages for Him and Her
- Heart-Touching Birthday Quotes for Son Latest
- Funny Yearbook Quotes that are Truly Outrageous
Prayer Quotes By CS Lewis
- Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.
- Adventures are never fun while you’re having them.
- Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man.
- If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.
- You must ask for God’s help. After each failure, ask forgiveness, pick yourself up, and try again.
- Everyone says forgiveness is a lovely idea until they have something to forgive.
- What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.
- To walk out of His will is to walk into nowhere.
- When Christ died, He died for you individually just as much as if you’d been the only man in the world.
Quotes On Jesus By CS Lewis
- I think that if God forgives us we must forgive ourselves. Otherwise, it is almost like setting up ourselves as a higher tribunal than Him.
- Child, to say the very thing you really mean, the whole of it, nothing more or less or other than what you really mean; that’s the whole art and joy of words.
- Write about what really interests you, whether it is real things or imaginary things, and nothing else.
- A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading.
- How incessant and great are the ills with which a prolonged old age is replete.
- Joy is the serious business of Heaven.
- Spiteful words can hurt your feelings but silence breaks your heart.
- History isn’t just the story of bad people doing bad things. It’s quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.
- Some people write heavily, and some write lightly. I prefer the light approach because I believe there is a great deal of false reverence about it. There is too much solemnity and intensity in dealing with sacred matters; too much speaking in holy tones.
- Once a King in Narnia, always a King in Narnia. But don’t go trying to use the same route twice. Indeed, don’t try to get there at all. It’ll happen when you’re not looking for it.
Mere Christianity Quotes By CS Lewis
- Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbor; act as if you do, and you will presently come to love him.
- The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not.
- Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
- There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, ‘Thy will be done,’ and those to whom God says, ‘All right, then, have it your way.
- Look for yourself, and you will find in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin, and decay. But look for Christ, and you will find Him, and with Him everything else thrown in.
- Always try to use the language so as to make quite clear what you mean and make sure your sentence couldn’t mean anything else.
- If we let ourselves, we shall always be waiting for some distraction or other to end before we can really get down to our work. The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable. Favorable conditions never come.
- The more we let God take us over, the more truly ourselves we become – because He made us. He invented us. He invented all the different people that you and I were intended to be.
- Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good.
- It is not your business to succeed, but to do right; when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
Grief Observed Quotes By CS Lewis
Other lovely quotes to check out.
- You have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another.
- I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now…Come further up, come further in!
- We regard God as an airman regards his parachute; it’s there for emergencies, but he hopes he’ll never have to use it.
- The door on which we have been knocking all our lives will open at last.
- Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted in spite of your changing moods.
- For you will certainly carry out God’s purpose, however you act, but it makes a difference to you whether you serve like Judas or like John.
- We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade, the presence of God. The world is crowded with him. He walks everywhere incognito.
- We do not want merely to see beauty… We want something else which can hardly be put into words – to be united with the beauty we see, to pass into it, to receive it into ourselves, to bathe in it, to become part of it.
- We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.
- Now is our chance to choose the right side. God is holding back to give us that chance. It won’t last forever. We must take it or leave it.
Inspirational Quotes CS Lewis
- If you’re thinking of becoming a Christian, I warn you, you’re embarking on something, which will take the whole of you.
- It is not out of compliment that lovers keep on telling one another how beautiful they are; the delight is incomplete till it is expressed.
- I sometimes wonder whether all pleasures are not substitutes for joy.
- This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.
- A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.
- Eros will have naked bodies; Friendship naked personalities.
- Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one–the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.
- It cost God nothing, so far as we know, to create nice things: but to convert rebellious wills cost him crucifixion.
- Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.
- He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.
Friendship Quotes By CS Lewis
- Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear.
- If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.
- Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning…
- Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
- Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man… It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition is gone, pride is gone.
- Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather make a man a more clever devil.
- God has infinite attention to spare for each one of us. You are as much alone with him as if you were the only being he had ever created.
- Of all the bad men, religious bad men are the worst.
- It is a very funny thing that the sleepier you are, the longer you take about getting to bed.
- God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want.
CS Lewis Thanksgiving Quotes
- You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
- The sun looks down on nothing half so good as a household laughing together over a meal.
- To what will you look for help if you will not look to that which is stronger than yourself?
- But one of the worst results of being a slave and being forced to do things is that when there is no one to force you any more you find you have almost lost the power of forcing yourself.
- There is a kind of happiness and wonder that makes you serious. It is too good to waste on jokes.
- Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is.
- Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.
- In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that-and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison-you do not know God at all.
- What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.
- The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
Quotes On Death By CS Lewis
- I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Aslan to lead it. I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.
- When we Christians behave badly, or fail to behave well, we are making Christianity unbelievable to the outside world.
- Readers are advised to remember that the devil is a liar.
- Each day we are becoming a creature of splendid glory or one of unthinkable horror.
- I think that all things, in their way, reflect heavenly truth, the imagination not least.
- A pleasure is not full grown until it is remembered.
- All shall be done, but it may be harder than you think.
- Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.
- Let’s pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere.
- Miracles do not, in fact, break the laws of nature.
- 12 Beautiful Ways to Give Complimentary Words for Girls
- Reverent Jumma Mubarak Messages Adored by Devotees
- 60 Astounding Good Night Prayers for Loved Ones 2021 …
- 43 Fantastic Sweet Love Poems for Her 2021 Update
- Splendid Sunday Blessings Messages with Soul Edifying Effects
CS Lewis Quotes On Heaven
- I gave in, and admitted that God was God.
- Faith, in the sense in which I am here using the word, is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods.
- Real joy seems to me almost as unlike security or prosperity as it is unlike agony.
- Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.
- Always prefer the plain direct word to the long, vague one. Don’t implement promises, but keep them.
- Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
- The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.
- Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done.
- Being in love” first moved them to promise fidelity: this quieter love enables them to keep the promise.
C.S Lewis Inspirational Quotes
- God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain.
- Thirst was made for water; inquiry for truth.
- We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship.
- The Weight of Glory
- Do not dare not to dare.
- The Horse & His Boy
- The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only – and that is to support the ultimate career.
- We are mirrors whose brightness is wholly derived from the sun that shines upon us.
- Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage.
- I was with book, as a woman is with a child.
C.S Lewis Quotes On Faith
- Til We Have Faces
- Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes, but when you look back, everything is different…
- It is safe to tell the pure in heart that they shall see God, for only the pure in heart want to.
- I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen – not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
- If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.
- In our own case we accept excuses too easily; in other people’s, we do not accept them easily enough.
- Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.
- No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.
- The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God.
- If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.
Life Quotes By C.S Lewis
- The death of a beloved is an amputation.
- A Grief Observed
- Courage, dear heart.
- She’s the sort of woman who lives for others – you can tell the others by their hunted expression.
- Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness.
- A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.
- When you are arguing against God you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all.
- It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for a bird to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.
- Mere Christianity
- We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.
C.S Lewis Christian Quotes
- Gratitude looks to the Past and love to the Present; fear, avarice, lust, and ambition look ahead.
- The Screwtape Letters
- God allows us to experience the low points of life in order to teach us lessons that we could learn in no other way.
- There would be no sense in saying you trusted Jesus if you would not take his advice.
- Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither
- “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”
- “Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.”
- “It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.”
- “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
- “To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.”
C.S Lewis Joy Quotes
- “You can make anything by writing.”
- “It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”
- “A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.”
FAQs On CS Lewis Quotes
Below are some of the frequently asked questions on CS Lewis Quotes and their possible answers.
1. What CS Lewis said about God?
“God can’t give us peace and happiness apart from Himself because there is no such thing.”
2. What does CS Lewis say about life?
“All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”
3. What are some popular quotes?
I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the water to create many ripples.
4. What are the best quotes about life?
Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.
5. What are 5 positive quotes?
- “The best is yet to be.”
- “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.”
- “Do good and good will come to you.”
- “A positive mindset brings positive things.”
- “Positivity always wins
6. Can do attitude quotes?
- “Self care, self love.
- “Believe in yourself, keep a can-do approach, struggle hard and watch success follow.”
7. What is most powerful quote?
You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated.
8. What are inspiring words?
Action. “Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
9. What is the most inspiring quote?
“Magic is believing in yourself.
10. What are some uplifting quotes?
- “When you have a dream, you’ve got to grab it and never let go.”
- “Nothing is impossible.
- “There is nothing impossible to they who will try.”
I believe you enjoy these quotes, if yes kindly share them with friends.