Excellent Fancy Dress Themes for All Occasions for Children.
Fancy Dress Themes: You can’t really take out fantasy and fun from children unless you want them to grow dull and dump. Usually, children love to dress up. They love to adorn special costumes and dresses especially those of their favorite characters. Accordingly, using fancy dress themes can ease your stress of choice.
Hence, whatever the occasion, school play, costume party, or fancy dress competition, there is some exquisite fancy dress theme for you and your kid. These fancy dress themes hold so much excitement and fun in stock for your kid.
Exceptional Fancy Dress Themes and Ideas for Kids
Obviously, there are many fancy dress themes around, but not all of them are fitting for kids and not all of them appeal to their fantasies.
Accordingly, you need to have critical consideration of fancy dress ideas to make the right choice for the intended occasion. Take a look at these tremendous fancy dress themes that Wordingvibes has for you.
Fancy dress themes abound and can be used for many occasions. There are some themes that are more suited for specific kinds of events. There can never be a lacking in events to dress up and use costumes. We are going to deal with some of the most unique fancy dress themes in the coming sections below.
Fancy Dress Themes that Depict Fairy Tale and Princess
With all the fairy tales around and the love that our kids have for these tales, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to try out these dress-up costumes.
1. Cinderella – Cinderella is yet another popular fairy tale character from a French folk tale called Cinderella, or The Little Glass Slipper.
Deck your little girl in a pretty pink Cinderella costume, glass slippers (or something similar) included, and teach her to say a line from the story to make the experience interesting.
2. Evil Queen – The Evil Queen is a popular villain from Grimm’s Fairy Tale of Snow White. The queen is Snow White’s stepmother who plans to kill the princess with a poisoned apple.
The character is highly popular and was portrayed in the film by talented actresses like Charlize Theron and Julia Roberts.
3. Pan – Peter Pan is the lead character in a J.M Barrie play called Finding Neverland. Pan is a mischievous boy who lives in a realm called Neverland. He wears green, is ageless, and can fly.
4. Prince Charming Dress Theme – Turn your little boy into the most charming prince ever with a cool prince’s Dress Theme.
You can create your prince charming Dress Theme at home with a cloak made from a velvety cloth, and a dagger and crown made of cardboard. Add a short dialogue to the Dress Theme and your little prince is ready to save his damsel in distress.
5. Red Riding Hood Dress Theme – The Little Red Riding Hood Dress Theme is one of the simplest fancy dress Dress Themes you can make at home.
All you need is a red cloth that can be turned into a cloak with a hood, and your little one is all set to meet granny and the big bad wolf!
6. Robin Hood Dress Theme – Robin Hood is a legendary vigilante character, popularly referred to as the good robber who stole wealth from the rich and distributed it among the poor.
He lived in Sherwood Forest and led a band of Merry Men and is a highly skilled archer.
7. Snow White – Turn your little girl into the fairest maiden on the land with a pretty Snow White costume. Snow White is a popular character from Grimm’s Fairy Tale of the same name.
Superhero Fancy Dress Themes
It doesn’t hurt to once in a while live out our fantasies. Children especially boys love to appear like their favorite superheroes. As such, these costumes will fit them perfectly.
1. Batman – Batman is an all-time favorite superhero created by DC Comics. Create a simple Batman Dress Theme with a black cloth at home.
All you need to make is a cape and a mask. Combine that with a black one-piece suit or black tights and a t-shirt. Top it with a yellow belt with the bat logo for the buckle, and junior Batman is ready.
2. Captain America – Captain America is a Marvel Superhero, who saves his country and fellow soldiers from enemy attacks. The Captain America Dress Theme has stripes on the top and comes with a shield designed like the American Flag.
3. Green Lantern – Green Lantern is a less-known DC Comics’ character who draws his power from a ring. A full-length superhero suit in green with a green eye mask will complete the Green Lantern Dress Theme for your kid.
4. Joker – The Joker is Batman’s nemesis in one of the comics. He has his face painted like a joker and wears a purple suit. Making a Joker Dress Theme is very easy if you have face paints at home.
5. Spider-Man – When it comes to kids, Spider-Man is the best! Making a spider-man suit is not an option. The good news is that you can buy one online and turn your kid into the superhero, albeit without spidey-sense.
6. Superman – Superman is a DC Comics character who has super powers, wears a cloak, and can fly anywhere. Superman’s Dress Theme is blue and red, and may not be easy to make unless you have the right materials.
However, the task is made easy if your kid owns a Superman t-shirt with a logo on it.
7. Wonder Woman – This is a cool superhero Dress Theme for girls. Wonder Woman is the powerful ally of all our superheroes created by DC Comics. She is intelligent, beautiful, and quick to beat the enemy. Given its minimality, the Wonder Woman Dress Themes are ideal for young kids.
Food Dress Themes – Fruits and Vegetables
Kids always want to eat something. Some of them have developed quite an appetite for some of these foods. Mimicking their favorite recipe shouldn’t be a tough task for your kids. Food costumes actually have a huge appeal everywhere.
1. Burger – If your kid does not want to be a hot dog, make him a burger! The Dress Theme is not easy to make at home, so it is best to rent it for the event or competition.
2. Candy Bar – A candy bar Dress Theme can be made with cardboard/thermocol and soft string. You will also need water paints to color the bar brown like chocolate.
3. Fruit – Fruit Dress Themes look great on pre-schoolers and toddlers. You can dress you child as a banana, an apple, a pear, or a bunch of grapes.
You can buy fruit Dress Themes that are full suits that make your kid look like a moving fruit. If you want to keep it simple, you can use cloth and cardboard to create the Dress Theme at home.
4. Hot Dog – A hot dog Dress Theme is not easy to make. You can buy one or rent one for the school event or a fancy dress competition.
5. Vegetable – Vegetable fancy dress ideas are also ideal for young kids aged less than five. Easy to make vegetable Dress Themes include eggplant, green leafy vegetable, corn, peas, chili, and carrot.
Nature-themed Fancy Dress Themes
Imitating items of the natural environment is simply cool and awesome. Nature is always fun and holds lots of fun. Your kid can be anything he or she wishes to look like.
1. Cloud – A cardboard cut-out of a cloud with a string or ribbon attached to its back can be a simple, yet impressive fancy dress idea for kids. The Dress Theme can be made easily and quickly if you have a cardboard or a polystyrene sheet and paints.
2. Earth – Planet Earth is a creative fancy dress idea for kids. You can create a globe-like Dress Theme that goes around the body, with your child as the axis of rotation.
If you plan to create an earth Dress Theme for your child’s school play, make sure you give yourself enough time make it.
3. Flower – A flower Dress Theme is just perfect if your kid needs one for a school fancy dress competition. However, you’ll need to put in some effort to make the Dress Theme with petals and leaves.
Pick flowers like the Daisy, Sunflower, or any other flower with big petals. The Dress Theme usually has a dress that represents the stem or the leaf, while the head is the center of the flower.
4. Moon – The moon fancy dress Dress Theme is similar to the earth Dress Theme but simpler in comparison.
5. Star – You can make a star-shaped Dress Theme using cardboard or polystyrene sheets. A star is an easy Dress Theme to make at home. Get a few sheets of thermocol, fabric glue and a lot of glitter to make this Dress Theme in just a few hours.
6. Sun – The Sun Dress Theme is one of the easiest to make at home. You could make a cut-out of the Sun on cardboard or a polystyrene sheet that you child can hold or wear with the help of strings or thread.
Famous Personalities and Celebrity Dress Themes
Inspiring personalities of the past couldn’t be ignored. These men and women did a lot of outstanding things in our world. Your child may fancy looking like one of them and it is not such a bad idea anyway. Check out the list of our personalities.
1. Abraham Lincoln – Abraham Lincoln was America’s 16th president who abolished slavery. He is one of the favorite personalities that kids dress up as for Dress Theme parties and fancy dress competitions.
2. Charlie Chaplin – Charlie Chaplin is perhaps the funniest actor who could make you laugh without saying a single word. He had a distinct style of dressing which makes him an excellent model for a fancy dress competition.
Teach your kid to walk and act like Chaplin to when on stage, and he could leave the audience and judges spell-bound.
3. Einstein – Every mom wants her child to be an Einstein. Well, your child can be Albert Einstein for a while with the Dress Theme.
The Dress Theme is simple with a gray tweed jacket and pant suit. The only additional accessories you will need are a wig and a mustache.
4. Gandhi – Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, or Mahatma Gandhi as he is popularly known, was an Indian freedom fighter who believed in non-violence and truth.
Gandhi had a simple sense of dressing – he wore nothing but a dhoti (Indian garment for men) and walked with the help of a stick.
5. Hitler – Adolph Hitler was a German dictator who is known for his acts of cruelty. He is not the world’s favorite person but had a distinct style of his own, which makes him a popular model for fancy dress competitions.
6. Mother Teresa – Humanitarian and Nobel Peace Prize winner, Mother Teresawas a simple person who always wore a white sari with a blue line at the edges. She is known as a selfless person who helped lepers and orphans in the Indian city of Kolkata.
7. Nelson Mandela – Nelson Mandela was a South-African revolutionary who fought against the Apartheid.
He was also the president of South Africa from 1994 to 1999 and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. To create a Nelson Mandela Dress Theme for your child, you’ll only need a suit and a white wig.
Harry Potter Fancy Dress Ideas
Is there a kid that does not know Harry Potter? If not in movies at least numerous books abound that portrays the famous harry potter. Thinking of all the magical wonders of harry potter, every child will hastily wish to look like one of the characters.
1. Albus Dumbledore – Albus Dumbledore is the headmaster of the Hogwarts school where Harry Potter studies. A long gray-colored robe with frills and collar and a long white beard is what you need to create a Dumbledore Dress Theme.
2. Harry Potter – Nothing beats the Harry Potter Dress Theme at a party or school fancy dress competition. Kids love dressing up like Harry Potter, the good wizard from J.K Rowling’s fiction series.
Spectacles with a rounded frame, a wand or stick with one pointed edge, and a long black coat is all you need to turn your kid into Harry Potter.
3. Mad-Eye Moody – Mad-Eye Moody works at the Hogwarts institution, for the Ministry of Defense. Dark colored jeans and shirt topped with a long coat and a walking stick will complete the attire. Moody has a face eye, for which you will need a tennis-ball eye, a watch strap, and some tape.
4. Rubeus Hagrid – Rubeus Hagrid is the fictional half-giant, half-human from the Harry Potter series. He is the professor of care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts. He wears wooly robes and is very hairy.
5. Sirius Black – Sirius Black is Harry Potter’s godfather. He dresses simple but has long hair and a mustache that give him a unique personality.
You can pick from a variety of looks for Sirius Black – as a prisoner of Azkaban, or a resident of Gryffindor House, or just a striped suit that gives him a casual/everyday look.
Walt Disney did bless us with a lot of fancy characters. Disney series contain a whole compendium of costume ideas. Anyone of choice will do just fine. We have a few of them listed out for you and your kid.
1. Aladdin and Jasmine – A cute couple from the Disney movie Aladdin, Aladdin and Jasmine are ideal models for fancy dressing. Aladdin wears white pants and shirt with a white turban.
Jasmine wears a light blue dress with harem pants and blouse. She also has a distinct hairstyle with a blue colored bow on her head which acts like a tiara.
2. Cruella De Ville – Cruella De Ville is the evil woman from the Disney movie 101 Dalmatians, who wears animal skin to satiate her fashion sense. You can make your girl wear a dark colored dress and top it with a faux animal print coat.
3. Goofy – Goofy is a dog with a southern accent, and he is Mickey Mouse’s friend. He usually dresses in blue pants, orange turtleneck vest, white gloves, brown shoes and a tall green hat that looks like a rumpled fedora.
4. Merida (Brave) – Merida is the rebel princess from the Disney movie Brave. She defies conventions and fights to stay free and find love at her own pace.
Merida wears a full-length dark blue gown and carries a bow and arrows. The Dress Theme is complete with a wig made of curly red hair.
5. Mickey Mouse or Minnie Mouse – The first ever character created by Walt Disney, Mickey Mouse is an energetic mouse who wears red shorts with a black top. The Dress Theme is complete with a pair of black shoes and a black cap with mouse ears.
6. Mr. Incredible – Mr. Incredible is the head of the Incredible family, a fictional superhero family created by Disney Studios. The Incredibles dress alike – In a red body suit with black and orange trimmings, and a black eye mask.
7. Mr. Potato Head – Mr. Potato Head is a classic toy that you can dress your kid as. You can create the Dress Theme at home with a little effort. All you need is a brown overall on which you can stitch eyes, eyebrows, red lips and a small nose. Alternatively, you can hire the Dress Theme for convenience.
8. Winnie The Pooh And Tiger – Winnie the Pooh is the adorable bear and Tiger is his good friend from the popular TV series Winnie The Pooh. For both these characters, you will need to buy or hire the Dress Theme.
9. Woody and Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story – Toy Story has some really cute characters like the cowboy named Woody and the loyal astronaut named Buzz Lightyear.
For Woody, you will need blue pants, yellow checked shirt, a felt black-and-white cowboy vest with a cowboy hat and boots. For Buzz, you’ll need a space suit, with a green belt and oxygen mask. If your kid wants to be Buzz, it is best to buy or hire the Dress Theme.
Animal Fancy Dress Themes
Looking like an animal didn’t start today. Even the biblical king crawled like and animal, lol. Your child can very easy imitate any animal of choice and make a costume.
1. Bear – Who doesn’t love a teddy bear, especially a talking one? Bear Dress Themes for kids are a big hit with everyone.
2. Dinosaur – Dress your child like the fierce T-Rex or the cute Dino from The Flintstones.
3. Dog – Dog Dress Themes look cute on kids. Put this on your kid and ask him to say one word on stage, ‘woof’.
4. Dolphin – Dolphins are cute, but your child in a dolphin Dress Theme is going to be cuter.
5. Giraffe – The giraffe is as tall as your kid can get in Dress Theme.
7. Rabbit – Dress up your kid as the friendly ‘neighborwood’ rabbit or the funny Bugs Bunny! Or better, you could dress her up as the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland and run across the stage singing – “ I’m late! I’m late! For a very important date. No time to say “Hello, Goodbye.” I’m late, I’m late, I’m late.”
8. Tiger – Help your child speak about saving tigers in the wild with a bright and beautiful tiger Dress Theme. The audience will simply love it!
TV and Game Characters Dress Themes for Kids
There are just so many characters to copy especially on TV. For kids these characters will not be difficult to produce a replica as they spend most of their time watching them.
1. Alice In Wonderland – Alice in Wonderland is one of the most imaginative pieces of work ever written. Dressing your kid as Alice, the lead protagonist of the story is simple – all you need is a frilly white frock with blue lace, white socks and shoes with a buckle.
A blue bow to keep the hair in place is what you will need to complete this Dress Theme.
2. Angry Birds – You can also dress your kid as one of the angry birds from the game, or the movie. If your child does not mind being the ‘bad guy’, you can dress him or her as the piggies.
3. Chota Bheem – Chota Bheem is the dhoti-clad kid who fights off bad guys to protect his friends and the village of Dholakpur.
You can create the Chota Bheem Dress Theme with an orange colored cloth and matching wristbands and a black thread with a locket around the neck.
4. Dora – Dora the Explorer is a favorite among girls. If you little angel loves Dora, why not dress her as the character does for a fancy dress competition. Dora wears orange shorts with a pink top and dons a purple backpack.
5. Popeye – Popeye is the happy-go-lucky sailor who loves spinach. You will need a bespoke Dress Theme to dress your kid as Popeye, the sailor.
6. Sonic the Hedgehog – Sonic The Hedgehog is a popular video game character developed by Sega games. The character wears blue pants with a bespoke vest in blue and yellow or cream color.
You will need red shoes and a mask to complete the attire. The simplest way to dress your kid as Sonic is to buy or rent the complete Dress Theme.
7. SpongeBob SquarePants – SpongeBob SquarePants is the top choice when it comes to fancy dressing for kids. However, creating a SpongeBob Dress Theme is not easy.
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle – Does your boy like action? You can dress him up as one of the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Dress Theme remains the same for all four turtles, the only thing that changes is the color of the headband and the weapon.
Pirates of the Caribbean Dress Themes
These funny yet fantastic characters are also some kid’s favorites. They love the whole adventure idea. Pirates and their rickety ships with some very awesome accessories will be a great costume idea.
1. Angelica Pirate Dress Theme – Angelica is the female pirate who joins Jack Sparrow on his voyages. She wears a white top with a vest, a corset and a black/dark brown leggings, black boots and a hat. You’ll also need a toy cutlass to go with the personality.
2. Blackbeard – Blackbeard is the fictional pirate who wears all that is black. A black pant and shirt with a vest, and a gray colored overall coat and riding boots, hat and a cutlass are what you need to complete the attire.
3. Captain Jack Sparrow – Captain Jack Sparrow may seem a little ‘cuckoo’ in the head, but he is our first preference when it comes to dressing like a pirate.
You will need brown pants, white top with a brown vest, a red bandanna and lots of beads to go with the attire. You will also need brown long riding boots and a pirate hat for the Dress Theme to be complete.
Mythological Character Dress Themes
Spirit beings, gods and idols of various kinds appear in very epic manner. These characters make good choice for costumes especially in places where they are not being taken so serious.
1. Buddha – Your child may be no Buddha, but you can dress him up like one for a fancy dress competition. You will need a pale orange colored cloth to create a robe or drape it around your kid like monks do.
You can also use a maroon colored robe and use a yellow colored shawl to create a ‘monk’ look.
2. Greek Goddess – Make your little princess look like a Greek goddess with a simple white dress and brown belt and a brown headband. You can go with a short dress or a full-length dress for the attire. Leave her hair open and wavy for that authentic goddess look.
3. Lord Krishna – Lord Krisha is a Hindu god who wears a gold-colored dhoti with or without a top. To complete this attire, you will need to make a crown with a peacock feather in it, long chains made from beads and a flute.
Fancy Dress Themes – Professions
Children have lots of dreams. They dream about their future jobs and occupations. They look up to these professionals and wish to be like them when they grow up. This is a wonderful costume for your kids.
1. Artist – Dress your kid like the multi-talented Leonardo Da Vinci or as Picasso for the fancy dress competition. You can also create a more realistic Dress Theme with a paint-splattered apron on whatever your child is wearing.
2. Astronaut – Your kid can be the space-traveler he wants to be with this Dress Theme. You could go for the space suit or a jumpsuit that they wear inside the space shuttles.
3. Doctor -Dress your kid up like a doctor and act like one on stage for a fancy dress competition. Formal attire topped with a white coat and a stethoscope is all you need for a doctor’s Dress Theme.
4. Fireman – A fireman’s suit is a must for this attire. The attire should include the suit, a hard hat and a water hose or an ax.
5. Police – A police uniform is what you will need for this attire. You can also make do with a long coat and a suit to create detective Dress Theme, as shown on TV.
6. Rockstar – Tattered jeans or tight leather pants with a tank top, shoes and a unique hairstyle, (spikes or long curly hair) and a guitar are what you need to create the rock star look.
7. Sports Person – You can also dress your kid as a baseball player, a soccer player or a football player. The choice is yours, or your child’s. You will need the appropriate dress or uniform for this attire.
Technological Gadgets as Fancy Dress Themes
Items of technology and innovations stand as strong candidates for being used as costume options. There are a lot of gadgets and items your child can easily make costume of and look sharp in it.
1. Mobile Phone – Dress up your kid as the one thing we cannot live without – the mobile phone. You can pick up a mobile phone Dress Theme available in the market, or create a cheap fancy dress with cardboard and paint.
2. Remote Control – Want to give your kid the reins to the TV, make him a TV remote. A cardboard box, paint to create buttons and tape is what you will need to make this Dress Theme.
3. Robot – You can use cardboard boxes or create a robot Dress Theme, or you can buy one to give your child a genuine AI look.
4. Satellite – Put your creative side to use and create a satellite Dress Theme for your kid. You will need cardboard sheets, silver foil and a lot of tape for this,
5. TV – Take a cardboard box and paint it with a white screen and a few buttons. Attach a few strings or ribbons and create a hole on top to make it wearable. Your kid’s TV Dress Theme is ready.
Actually, you can display your creative prowess by adding some twists and accessories to these fancy dress ideas. You can make the more customized and special for your kids in any way your want it. Make your kid stand out by choosing a very outstanding fancy dress theme for him or her.
Not everyone knows how to dress up or what to dress up with. You can be of assistance to them by sharing this article with them.