250+ Beautiful Japanese Boy Names With Meanings 2022
– Japanese Boy Names –
Are you looking for a unique Japanese boy names for your sons? With so many intriguing names to pick from, you may find it difficult to limit down your choices to just one.
Get a list of baby boy names that are distinctive, cool, and charming, as well as their meanings, to help you choose the finest name for your young one.
Kanji, hiragana, and katakana are the three scripts used in Japanese. Kanji are symbols that represent a word, such as a verb, noun, or adjective root. New foreign language words are written in hiragana, while syllables are written in katakana.
On this list, you’ll find several well-known names, as well as some unusual male Japanese boy names you’ve never heard before.
Japanese Boy Names and Meanings
1. Akihiko which means bright prince.
2. Akihito which means bright and compassionate.
3. Akimitsu which means bright light.
4. Akio which means bright or luminous.
5. Aoi which means hollyhock or blueish green.
6. Arata which means fresh or new.
7. Asuka which means either tomorrow or fly and fragrance or bird.
8. Ayumu which means walking dream.
9. Daichi which means earth.
10. Daiki which means great brightness.
11. Daisuke which means great, big, or help.
12. Denki which means electricity or electrical.
13. Fumihito which means writing and compassion.
14. Genji which means two beginnings.
15. Goro which means six and son.
16. Hachirō which means eight and son.
17. Haru which means light, sun, male, or spring.
18. Haruka which means distant or remote.
19. Haruto which means light, sun, male, plus soar, fly.
20. Hayate which means the sudden, powerful sound of the wind.
Rare Japanese Boy Names
21. Hibiki which means sound or echo.
22. Hideaki which means shining excellence.
23. Kōji has multiple meanings, depending on the kanji used.
24. Hideyoshi which means excellent and virtuous, good, respectable.
25. Kohaku which means either red and white or gold and silver.
26. Kiyoshi which means shining, bright, or clear.
27. Kichiro which means good luck, son.
28. Kenzo which means number two, humble, modest.
29. Kenshin which means humble, modest, and trust, believe.
30. Kenji which means healthy or strong, and two
31. Kenichi which means strong, healthy one.
32. Ken which means healthy, strong.
33. Hikari which means light.
34. Hikaru which means light or brightness.
35. Kei which means intelligent, gemstone, or congratulate, depending on the kanji used.
36. Kazuo which means one man or one husband.
37. Kazuki which means one or peace combined with hope, brightness, or tree.
38. Katsurō which means victory and son.
39. Katsuo which means victory and hero.
40. Katsu which means victory.
Cute Japanese Names for Boy
41. Kaoru which means fragrance
42. Katashi which means hard, firm.
43. Kaito which means sea, ocean, and 翔 meaning soar, fly.
44. Kaede which means maple.
45. Hinata which means sunny place or towards the sun.
46. Jūrō which means ten son.
47. Junpei which means pure, peaceful.
48. Hiraku which means expand, open, support.
49. Junichi which means either obey, submit, or pure combined with one.
50. Jiro which means two son.
51. Jun which means mean pure, clean, simple, or moisture.
52. Itsuki which means tree
53. Isamu which means brave.
54. Ichiro which means one son.
55. Hiroshi which means tolerant, generous, and prosperous.
56. Hirohito which means abundant and either person or compassionate.
57. Kurō which means nine son and was traditionally given to the ninth son of the family.
58. Kyō which means apricot, unite, corporate, village, or capital city.
59. Yūto which means excellence, gentleness, superiority, or permanence with person, soar or fly.
60. Yūma which means permanence, real, genuine.
61. Yamato which means great harmony.
62. Takumi which means artisan or skillful.
63. Takehiko which means military, martial, or bamboo, combined with boy, prince.
64. Takashi which means prosperous, noble.
65. Taiki which mean great, big, brightness, or great, big, tree.
66. Taichi which means thick, big, one.
67. Susumu which means to advance, make progress.
68. Sōta which means sudden sound of the wind plus big, thick.
69. Shōta which means soar, glide, and 太, meaning thick, big.
70. Makoto which means sincerity or truth.
71. Sora which means sky.
72. Sōma which means real, genuine, the sudden sound of the wind.
73. Shun which means fast or talented.
74. Shōhei which means soar, glide, and level, even, peaceful.
75. Shō which means soar, fly, or prize, reward.
76. Shin’ya which means real, genuine, and also.
77. Shiori which means lithe, bending.
78. Shingo which means genuine, real with I, me.
79. Shion which means aster.
80. Shin which means genuine, real.
81. Masami which means become beautiful.
82. Masaru which means victory or excellence.
83. Shinobu which means stealth or to endure.
84. Shigeru which means luxuriant, lush.
85. Saburō which means third son or bright son.
86. Ryūji is most commonly written by combining the kanji for dragon with the one for either second or child.
87. Ryoichi is made by combining the kanji for good or clear with the kanji for one.
88. Ryū which means dragon.
89. Rōnin which means drifter or wanderer.
90. Ryo which means cool, refreshing, or reality.
91. Ryōta which means cool, refreshing, clear, or good, combined with thick, big.
92. Ringo which means apple.
93. Rin which means dignified, severe, or cold.
94. Ren which means lotus.
95. Minato which means harbor.
96. Minoru which means to bear fruit.
97. Nori which means ceremony, rites.
98. Osamu which means discipline, study, logic, chronicle, reign, or rule.
99. Naoki which means means straight tree.
100. Naruhito which means virtue, compassion.
Japanese Names Boy
101. Enkai which means deep sea
102. Umi which means sea
103. Shimizu which means pure water (also a common last name in Japan)
104. Shimesu which means dampen, moisten, or wet
105. Suiiki which means water area
106. Shimizu which means pure water
107. Oshan which means ocean
108. Oki which means blue water or high sea
109. Mizuwokakeru which means water
110. Mizu which means water
111. Kaiyō which means ocean
112. Kaito which means sea or ocean
113. Enyo which means blue water, open sea, or high sea
114. Kaimen which means sea level
115. Minakami which means aquatic or on water
116. Ankoku which means gloom, shadow, opaque, or blackness
117. Asahi which means rising sun, morning sun, or sunrise
118. Fujin which means god of wind
119. Tsukiyomi which means god of the moon
120. Tenjin which means god of scholarship
Japanese Names Related to Water
121. Tajimamori which means god of confections/sweets
122. Takemikazuchi which means god of swords
123. Kuraokami which means deity of rain and snow (Shinto)
124. Suijin which means god of water
125. Kōjin which means god of hearth, kitchen, and fire
126. Ryūjin which means god of the sea
127. Raijin which means god of thunder and lightning
128. Raiden which means alternate spelling of Raijin, the god of thunder and lightning
129. Omoikane which means god of intelligence and wisdom
130. Okuninushi which means god of nation-building
131. Kangiten which means god of bliss
132. Kuebiko which means god of knowledge and agriculture
133. Izanagi which means first male; god of creation
134. Chikyu which means earth
135. Wakusei which means planet
136. Tsukikage which means moonbeams or moonlight
137. Tsuki which means moon or lunar
138. Tenpi which means sunlight
139. Tenmongaku which means astronomy
140. Riku which means wise sky
Japanese Names Related to Sky
141. Tenmon which means astronomy
142. Taiyō which means sun
143. Myojo which means Venus or morning star
144. Nichirin which means sun
145. Sora which means universe or big sky
146. Dosei which means Saturn
147. San which means sun
148. Kikotei which means sun
149. Mokusei which means Jupiter
150. Mūn which means moon
151. Hoshi which means star
152. Antantaru which means gloomy
153. Mei which means dark
154. Kurayami which means darkness
155. Kurai which means gloomy
156. Kuragari which means darkness
157. Inei which means shadow or gloom
158. Anzhong which means in the dark
159. Daku which means dark
160. Yami which means darkness, dark, or opaque
Names for Boys in Japanese
161. Aoki which means green tree
162. Fuji which means unsurpassed or unique
163. Yuuma which means leisurely
164. Yuuto which means helpful person
165. Reo which means flourishing or vigorous
166. Touma which means top of the mountain
167. Ren which means lotus
168. Minato which means harbor
169. Kenji which means prosecutor
170. Kane which means bell
171. Kai which means paddle
172. Itsuki which means independence
173. Haru which means to stretch
174. Hiroto which means soar or big flight
175. Haruto which means soar or fly
176. Endo which means roadside
177. Takeuchi which means within bamboo
178. Nishimura which means western village
179. Ono which means field
180. Sato which means to assist
Japanese Boys Names
181. Takahashi which means bridge
182. Saito which means divine worship, purity
183. Suzuki which means bell tree
184. Matsumoto which means base of a pine or fir tree
185. Mori which means forest
186. Kondo which means now
187. Kato which means all-knowing
188. Kobayashi which means small forest
189. Kaneko which means golden child
190. Iwai which means celebration
191. Ito which means string, thread, or yard
192. Inoue which means above the well
193. Ishii which means stone well
194. Hayashi which means forest
195. Faia which means fire
196. Yakeru which means char, burn, blaze, or ignite
197. Yaketsuku which means burn, blaze, flare, or ignite
198. Mosu which means flare, ignite, or blaze
199. Kaki which means flame
200. Katon which means disappearing via fire (as a Ninja might do)
substitute for professional
Japanese Boy Names Meaning Fire
201. Takibi which means fire
202. Kasai which means conflagration (a fire that causes significant property or land damage)
203. Kazan which means fiery volcano
204. Kaji which means conflagration (a fire that causes significant property or land damage)
205. Kaen which means flame or blaze
206. Homura which means blaze
207. Hoka which means gunfire
208. Hinote which means flame or blaze
209. Hi which means flame or blaze
210. Riku which means wise sky
211. Akito which means bright
212. Aoi which means holly flower
213. Ren which means the love of lotus
214. Doi which means mountain, earth
215. Aoki which means evergreen blue tree
216. Chiharu which means springs and clear skies
217. Akito which means autumn season
218. Yoshio which means righteous boy
219. Reiji which means a well-mannered baby
220. Yo which means honest or truthful
Beautiful Boys Names
221. Naoyuki which means truth and happiness
222. Koji which means little one
223. Haru which means spring moon
224. Kaito which means supportive person
225. Hinata which means sunny place
226. Kazumi which means beautiful peace
227. Hansuke which means a helpful friend
228. Hiroyuki which means a lot of happiness
229. Dai which means a shining individual
230. Benjiro which means peace
231. Zen which means ‘meditation’ or ‘contemplation’ and is related to Buddhism
232. Zenaku which means ‘good and evil’
233. Yahiko which means ‘night, dark’ with ‘boy or prince’
234. Yukio which means ‘snow boy’
235. Yuki which means ‘snow’ or ‘lucky’
236. Yuito which means ‘solely’, ‘only’ or ‘simply’ combined with ‘person’
237. Yoshio which means ‘courageous one’ or ‘righteous man’ or ‘good fortune, lucky’
238. Yoru which means ‘night’
239. Yami which means ‘dark’ or ‘darkness’
240. Yamato which means ‘great harmony and peace’
241. Yakumo which means ‘thick clouds’
242. Yama which means ‘mountain’
243. Uri which means ‘melon’
244. Ushio which means ‘tide’, ‘salt water’ or ‘edges of water’ or depending on the kanji it could also called ‘cow’
245. Sanji which means ‘third son’
246. Soto which means ‘outside’
247. Sota which means ‘port, harbor’ or ‘thick, plump and big’
248. Soma which means combines ‘sound of the wind’ with ‘real, genuine’
249. Sosuke which means ‘smooth’, ‘complete’ or ‘clever’ depending on the kanji used
250. Sho which means ‘Commander’ or ‘General’, it can also mean ‘soar, fly’
251. Shinta which means ‘lengthen, cultivate, develop’ or ‘real, genuine’ combined with ‘big, thick’
252. Shiro which mean ‘samurai male’, ‘white’ or ‘castle’
253. Shinjiro which means ‘genuine, true’ and ‘second son’
254. Shinji which means ‘careful, prudent’ combined with ‘warrior’
255. Satoshi which means ‘clear thinking, quick witted’ or ‘wise’
256. Satoru which means ‘to know’ or ‘to understand’ and refers to spiritual awakening and enlightenment
257. Takumi which means ‘artisan’ or ‘skillful’
258. Taizen which means ‘big’ and ‘good’
259. Takamori which means ‘tall or high forest’
260. Taichi which means ‘thick, big’ and ‘one’
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are FAQs in relation to Japanese boys names.
What is names that means ‘Twilight’?
Kawatare, similar in meaning to the word tasogare, is written with the kanji characters that mean “who is he” or “who is that person” ( ).
It refers to the twilight, when it is not yet dark but it is difficult to see the faces of even your traveling companions clearly.
What Japanese names have the word “Yuzu” in them?
The yuzu is called yuja in Korean cuisine. Both Japanese yuzu and Korean yuja are borrowings of the kanji/hanja yòuzi , though this Chinese word now refers to the pomelo due to semantic shift.
What names in Japanese mean or reference wolves?
Ichirou one+wolf. Kagerou shadow+wolf. Yoshiro goodness+wolf.
Why are you using a Japanese name?
Because both of my parents were Japanese nationals and reasonably gave me a Japanese name when I was born. It’s the only name I can officially pass by with, so I just use it.
In Japan do Japanese people have English names?
In general, the answer is no. But there may be a few rare exceptions. Multicultural families often strive to select a name that may be used in Japan and also abroad.
Is there a Japanese surname that mean ‘promise’?
There is not the word promise yakusoku but another meaning of promise, Oath chikai meaning, a solemn pledge (to oneself or to another or to a deity) to do something or to behave in a certain manner.
How is a half-Korean and half-Japanese child given a name?
They will usually take the name of the father/head of household for official purposes. Some Koreans in Japan also opt to use their Korean name informally as well as their Japanese name.
How to find the closest English equivalent of a Japanese name?
You can’t. English names are a class of words in English that are considered not to have meanings. A small number, mostly girls’ names, are common nouns repurposed as personal names.
(Names of jewels or flowers, etc.) But those are very much the exceptions. Many English names had literal meanings in the language they were borrowed from.
But those were lost or ignored when the name was imported into English. Names can have associations: who else has had the name? But that is not the same.
Why do the Japanese add ‘San’ to every name?
“San,” “kun,” and “chan” are added to the ends of names and occupation titles to convey varying degrees of intimacy and respect in the Japanese language.
They are used very often and it is considered impolite if you use the terms incorrectly.
What determines if someone’s name is written in Katakana?
If a person of Japanese descent is born and raised overseas, it seems common for official Japanese publications to use katakana for their name as if they were completely non-Japanese.
This seems to hold even if the person has kanji for their name, even if they write their name in kanji themselves.
We hope this article has been of help to you in choosing a unique japanese boy names for your new born son. Please share this article with your family and friends. Cheers.