33 Amazing, Witty and Famous Nicknames For Richard 2020 Update
33 Amazing, Witty and Famous Nicknames For Richard 2020 Update.
Are you looking for unique nicknames you can call someone named Richard? Then you are in the right page. Stroll through these huge lists provided below just for you
Richard Meaning and Origin
Finding out how names came about, where they came from, and when they came from is always interesting. Taking a look at history, we’re going to learn a lot about Richard’s name before we move on to Richard’s nickname.
The name Richard is of Germanic origin, although very popular in America, and when the compound is broken down, you get ric (meaning ruler and strength) and hard (meaning brave and hardy) together, making the name mean “brave strength” or “powerful, strong ruler.”
Having such a strong name with a strong meaning behind it makes it one of the reasons why it first became so popular!
Also, the name was adopted into Britain by the Normans, much like the name William. The name of three kings, King Richard I, II , and III of England, ended up being it.
It is not a coincidence that three people called Richard became kings, while the name was passed on to the second and the third. Getting the name of a monarch and that of royalty sounds terrific.
Richard is a nice, handsome, masculine, original name for a baby boy.
So, now that you know a few things behind Richard’s name, let’s get into the nicknames!
Nicknames for Richard
There are various nicknames associated with the name Richard, and if you’re named Richard, at any stage in your life, you’re / have been called any of the following nicknames.
- Richie – Richie has a German origin and directly translates as ‘hard ruler.’
- Rico Ricard
Famous People Named Richard
Many famous people, as well as fictional characters, are named Richard, which is a testimony to the popularity of the name. Here is a list of some famous people named Richard:
- Richard Speight, Jr., American actor
- Richard Burton, Welsh actor
- Richard Walters, Canadian actor
- Richard Lynn Carpenter, American musician and composer
- Richard of Gloucestor (a.k.a. King Richard III), 1452 – 1485
- Richard “Ricky” Ray AIDS Activist 1977 – 1992
- Richard Dean Anderson, American actor
- Richard Allen, (1760–1831), Minister
- Richard ‘Dick’ Turpin, English highwayman
- Richard Mark Hammond, British television presenter.
- Richard Wayne Penniman (a.k.a. “Little Richard”)
- Richard Kylea Cowie Jr (aka Wiley), UK music pioneer, created the genre “grime”
- Richard “Rick” Danko, Musician, 1942 – 1999
- Richard Tiffany Gere, American actor
- Richard Franklin Lennox Thomas Pryor, American comedian
- Richard Milhous Nixon, 37th American President
- Richard Starkey, MBE (a.k.a. Ringo Starr)
- Richard Wayne “Dick” Van Dyke
Do you know of any funny nickname for Richard that isn’t here? Go ahead and add it in the comment section.